Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 22:53:19 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using 3 x znyx314 cards for 12 de ethernets

On Sep 15,  9:09pm, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I agree that this is the best place for it - but I'd also like FreeBSD
> > systems to be secure against smurf attacks out of the box, even if the
> > router/firewall/whatever lets IP broadcast through (and translates it
> > to link-level broadcast).
>
> And what about NFS hijack, SMB hijack, source routing, IP spoofing,
> etc.?

These are different issues, someone can be partly responsible for
a smurf attack without ever realising it and (more importantly)
without _their_ security/quality of service being compromised.  I
don't care how many boxes get hacked as long as they aren't mine,
but it's reasonable to complain about a configuration which makes
it too easy for script kiddies to exploit the ineptitude or
carelessness of admins to affect _other_ competant and careful
admins boxes.

It's akin to shipping sendmail with open relaying.

Niall

--
Niall Smart, rotel@indigo.ie.
Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: