Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:42:22 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI/Tape problem?

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 11:32:47PM -0500, Steven Ames wrote:
>>> Hrm... I was unclear. The 'mt erase' is obviously only a
>>> symptom. The backup process still causes my machine to lockup...
>>
>> OK, that is obviously wrong. My 2.2.5R box performs dumps just fine on the
>> 8200, as said without doing an mt erase. I do not use Amanda though
>
> Correct. I do not _have_ to do the 'mt erase'. In fact I never do.
> However... 'mt erase' does not work... and my backup locks up. These
> are seperate but related issues. Bottom line is _it don't work_.
>
> I have tried just about every termination I can think to try. Different
> cables, different controller (still a 2940) and a different
> tape drive. It still doesn't work. So something is wrong. Options
> anyone?

What else do you have connected to the string?  If there's something
else, and you obviously have access to a second controller, try using
both controllers, with only the tape connected to the one controller.

If that doesn't work, consider your drive options.  This was an
Exabyte 8505, wasn't it?  Exabytes used to have millions of drive
options, so much that hardly two drives were the same.  Maybe the
drive does something that the driver doesn't understand.

Greg