Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:06:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It works!  Solved my problem wih Etherlink III on AcerNote Light

> For those of you who've been following my tribulations installing
> -current on an AcerNote Light, the good news: finally it works.

[ ... ]

>     So then I built a -current kernel without crd0 and pcic[01].  It
>     FOund the baord.  And it was able to correctly configure zp0.  But
>     I still couldn't get things to work.  On closer examination, there
>     seems to be something wrong with the routing table entry: there
>     was no entry at all for zp0, and I couldn't find a way to put one
>     in.  In /etc/sysconfig, I did effectively:
>
>       ifconfig lp0 192.109.197.159 192.109.197.137
>       ifconfig zp0 192.109.197.159

This is incorrect.

You have "named" both interfaces the same IP "name".  You can't do
this, it's not legal.  If it works at all, it has more to do with
assignment order, and the resulting bogus data in your routing table,
and which bogus route is found first during a linear traversal, than
anything else.

Consider: I am your kernel... I have a packet for 192.109.197.158; do
I send it out your parallel port or your ethernet card?

>     So I removed lp0 from /etc/sysconfig and rebooted.  Now the
>     routing tables looked OK, but it still didn't work.  OK, I've got
>     RG-58, what links do I need?  Where's the man page for zp?
>     Nowhere.  I played around with the links and found that link1 will
>     do the trick: it works.  Not very fast, but it works.  The hard
>     disk on this machine seems to be the slowest I've every come
>     across.  ftp'ing a 67 MB file gave me a throughput of about 220
>     kB/s when copying to disk, about 750 kB/s when copying to
>     /dev/null.  By comparison, the same file ftp'd to (IDE) disk on
>     freebie at 860 kB/s, and to /dev/null at 940 kB/s.  The error rate
>     might explain some of this: on freebie, netstat -in shows:

I can't explain the error rate.  Does it claim that the card is bogus
at boot time?  There were some rent patches for (589?) which might
be applicable.  The 3COM stuff is notoriously variable in their
detection interface design... moreso than almost any other devices
(well, except ATAPI CDROMs).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org