Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 18:17:27 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, hackers@hub.freebsd.org, support@kew.com

Jonathan M. Bresler scribbled this message on Sep 7:
> Drew Derbyshire wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> > > therefore, we are not blocking mail from sites that can not be
> > > resolved in the DNS.  not that i dont want to, there are just too
> > > many newbies out there that send mail to the lists.
> >
> > You really do want to enable that.
> >
> > First off, it really does kill much spam.
> >
> > Just as important, however, is that bounce messages just plain _don't_
> > _work_ for such users when they are legitimate, and a specific useful
> > message reporting that the host cannot be resolved is going to do more
> > to solve their (or their ISP's) long term problem with lost bounces more
> > than blindly accepting mail which doesn't have a valid address.
> >
> > The TCP/IP protocol implicitly requires public IP address to be properly
> > registered to be routed (otherwise, you don't get your ACK's back!),
>
> 	please remember to distinguish between "mail from:" addresses
> 	and relays.  there is *not* reasone that i know of that a
> 	"mail from:" address must be resolvable.
> 	if the "don't get your ACK's ba" they cant establish the TCP
> 	session in order to transfer the mail in the first place.

actually..  yes it does...  the mail from: is exactly that... the return
path...  i.e. if it isn't resolvable, then it's not a valid return path...
now if you provide a uucp address.. then it's a bit harder to verify
that it's valid...

> > there is no sin in requiring public e-mail addresses registered as well.
> >
> > Note too, that newbies tend to not start with e-mail from their own
> > sites, they use their existing connection (Windows connected to an ISP
> > POP3 server or whatever) to get up and then migrate.  I've handled
> > e-mail support for UUPC/extended for ~ 8 years, I've watched the pattern
> > for that long -- my help desk is now reading this over my shoulder, and
> > her comment is "Yup -- and that any list which is spammed is less
> > helpful".
>
> 	you may well be correct about this...i am still learning the
> 	email game even though i have been postmaster for over two years.
> 	things keep changing and there is always more to learn
> 	i may change the check_relay ruleset to require DNS resolution. ;)

personally... I think that it isn't bad any more... considering how easy
it is to fix, (I posted the fix a couple days ago) I'm actually heading
twards the end that forces it to resolve... :)

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD