Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:40:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        grady@xcf.berkeley.edu (Steven Grady)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM problem on 3.0: Invalid argument?

Steven Grady wrote...
> Thanks for the information.  I turned on CAM debugging, and when
> I reproduced the problem, I found the following syslog data:
>
>     [At this point, it was successfully reading the disc.]
>     (pass2:ahc0:0:2:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 0 d bd 0 0 a 0
>     [Here I interrupted the read, and ran the program.]
>     (cd0:ahc0:0:2:0): PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL. CDB: 1e 0 0 0 1 0
>     (cd0:ahc0:0:2:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>     (cd0:ahc0:0:2:0): PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL. CDB: 1e 0 0 0 0 0
>     [Here, I ran the program again.]
>     (cd0:ahc0:0:2:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> Each subsequent (failing) run of the cddb-id program generates the
> same single "READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY" message.

Weird.  It sounds like there may be a state-keeping type problem with the
driver in 3.0.  You should get a prevent removal and an allow removal each
time.  But evidently you aren't getting that...

> By the way, I also tried to boot with -v, but I get a reproducible
> page fault during boot.  The information I saved is that the bell
> turns on, and it enteres the debugger with the message:
>     Fatal trap 12; page fault in kernel mode
>     Stopped at _ansi_put+0x92: movw %ax,0(%ecx)
>
> Since I've never debugged a kernel before, I gave up booting with -v
> at this point.

Just put the following in your kernel config file:

options DDB

And then when you get a panic, type 'trace' at the DDB prompt.

> I'm looking forward to the arrival of the 3.1 discs -- maybe they will
> fix this problem.  But meanwhile, perhaps this information can shed
> some light on the bug.

There have been a number of changes in the CD driver since 3.0.   My guess
is that 3.1 may well fix your problem.  It's probably worth just waiting
for 3.1, since I suspect you'll be getting it soon.

If 3.1 doesn't fix the problem, we'll have to hunt this one down.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com