Date:      Thu, 21 May 98 05:20:16
From:      "Graham C.H.K. Gill" <grahamg@interlog.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Syjet timeout & booting 2:sd(0,a)/kernel

1st question
------------------

I have a Syquest Syjet 1.5G drive attached to my Adaptec 1542CF controller, and
although the FreeBSD (2.2.6) SCSI subsystem has no problems recognizing and using
the drive, I get timeout problems whenever the Syjet has spun down.  As far as I can tell
from the DOS programs that came along with the Syjet, I can set spin down time to as
long as 3 hours but I can't disable it.  If I try to access the drive after it has spun down,
the usual result is that the command in question, e.g. mount, times out before the drive
spins back up.  The time out can have few or it can have disastrous consequences,
such as a panic reboot together with inability to properly sync all drives.

I've looked around in the scsi(8) and other man pages and the mailing list archives for
any help.  I was hoping to find something that would let me increase default timeout time
within the SCSI subsystem for the SCSI ID on which the Syjet sits, so that the Syjet would
have enough time to spin up from sleep before critical activity bombed.  Can I do
something like this?

I saw one suggestion in the mailing list archives that disallowing SCSI disconnect for
the Syjet's SCSI ID from my 1542's setup utility might work, by preventing the Syjet from
ever spinning down.  I'll certainly give this a try, but would prefer to allow the Syjet to be
able to spin down.

2nd question
-------------------

I have 2 IDE drives but am booting FreeBSD off of my first SCSI drive, ID 0.  I'm using
the OS/2 Bootmanager to select which OS to boot.  The  FreeBSD bootstrap
remembers somewhat imperfectly which drive I last booted.  I type in 2:sd(0,a)/kernel at
the boot prompt, which works fine, but the next time around the loader attempts to boot
2:sd(2,a)/kernel, which fails, so I type the correct string in.  What do I need to put in my
kernel config file or do to the boot blocks to get the desired behaviour?

Graham

--
Graham Gill
grahamg@interlog.com