Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 12:31:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug <doemill@shocking.com>
To:        Robert <robert@namodn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unable to make device node for /dev/X in /dev!

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Robert wrote:

> Hmm, for one I would suggest making /usr bigger than / ..
> ( you'll need it )

ok, i just used FIPS to free up 1700MB for it so now i can do a lot more

> In the "Disklabel Editor", you might want to try "A", which is
> auto-defaults for all ( I'm sure some will disagree :)

ok I will try that after i send this mail

> although I do not know that it will affect the "unable to make device node
> for /dev/X" error message you are receiving..
>
> I might sound dumb, but did you type -c at the boot prompt, and make sure
> your hardware was set correctly? Do you have SCSI or IDE? Are you using

I didnt do -c at bootup, and I let freeBSD probe for my hardware because im
not a hardware person, a software, and to be honest, this is a hewlett
packard, it doesnt tell you anything about it, and the first thing i did
was install Linux on it so up untill now i havent had to know. i think i
have an IDE disc though

> novice install? Also, what version of FreeBSD are you attempting to
> install?

im using expert install since it gives me the most flexability.
Im trying to download freeBSD 2.2.8, oh, and last night in windows i
downloaded everything in freebsd.org/pub/Freebsd/2.2.8-RELEASE
src
bin
doc
manpages
des
info
so now all i have to do is do a install from DOS partition. I downloaded it
all in a directory called FREEBSD at te root, i hope it works. thanks for
the reply
Doug