Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 21:00:28 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mscompress port

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 03:33:56PM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake Chris D. Faulhaber (jedgar@FreeBSD.ORG):
>
> >   New port: mscompress, a Microsoft "compress.exe/expand.exe"
> >   compatible (de)compressor
>
> You've just sold your soul, congrats :)

Oh, well.  Then we should probably nuke the ports for zip/unzip too, because
the real men use gzip/bzip?

Seriously now.  I think that being able to interoperate with others, no matter
what operating environment they prefer, is a good thing.

It is other things that I usually worry about, more often than not one
of them is to keep lawyers away from my box.  Is that thing exportable
from US?  Is the algorithm used for compression and decompression free
for distribution, or should the users pay some royalties to Microsoft or
someone else?

Ciao,
Giorgos Keramidas.