Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:39:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getsetcontext system call

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:

> ptrace doesn't use procfs as it is...

It used to be the case that the majority of our debugging tools relied
heavily on /proc to function, and that the ptrace() implementation had
hooks into the procfs implementation (although it didn't actually require
that /proc be mounted).  Happily, DES has invested time in both reducing
dependencies (truss, for example), and cleaning up procfs, so things are
much improved.  There are still a few dependencies, but the only one that
really comes to mind is that 'procfs -e' relies on /proc/pid/mem to find
environmental variables.

Mind you, I'm not objecting to procfs learning about KSE, threads, etc, I
just want to avoid requiring it in order to have a useful debugging
environment.