Date:      18 Jul 2002 00:40:11 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scp and non-shell accounts.

Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com> writes:

> I want my users to be able to transfer files to the production
> webserver using scp or sftp, but not to have shell access on the
> production webserver.
>
> So on the production machine, each of these users has a home directory, and a
> shell of /sbin/nologin.
>
> The problem is, this seems to trounce scp and sftp.  I get
>
>         wibble@staging:~(1)$ scp transfer.txt wibble@prod:~
>         wibble@prod's password: [type password]
>
>         This account is currently not available. [from /sbin/nologin]
>         wibble@staging:~(2)$ sftp prod
>         Connecting to prod...
>         wibble@prod's password: [type password]
>         Received message too long 173237622
>         wibble@staging:~(3)$ _
>
> Do I really have to permit shell access for these accounts in order
> to use scp or sftp?

You do have to permit shell access, but you can use a nice restrictive
shell. I can't remember where I found it originally (Byron - If you're
reading this can you post the location), but there is a shell out
there called scponly.

Using this means that scp functions work ok but a user cannot actually
login to the machine. This I hope will suit your purpose?

If you can't find it on google, mail me and I'll hunt out the URL.

Regards,

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    I'm from Iowa. I just work in space. Admiral