Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:30:55 -0600
From:      Tony Shadwick <tshadwick@oss-solutions.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Attempting to write a mouse driver for the GunCon2...help?

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 21:55:40 -0600
From: Tony Shadwick <tshadwick@oss-solutions.com>
To: questions@freebsd.org

I'm trying to figure this out, and I'm not sure what to do.

The GunCon2 is a usb device intended for the PS/2.  I have it's
communications protocol worked out, FreeBSD picks the gun up and gives
it two devices, /dev/ugen0 and /dev/ugen0.1.  ugen0.1 is a character
device that I can easily read everything I need from the gun.  I even
have a perl "reference driver" written that uses perl and the
X11::GuiTest module to move the pointer and click, but it's too laggy to
be of real use.

The gun has 10 (!!!) buttons.  The trigger, A, B, C, Select, Start, and
the control pad (4 independent buttons).

I'm not sure whether or not the OS can support a 10 button HID mouse or
not.  I've tried just getting the gun detected and so it creates
/dev/guncon instead of ugen (even if it really is still using the
general purpose driver) with no luck.  I have the product ID and vendor
ID...I'm just not "getting" it.  Ideally I'd like to be able to use the
gun for MAME.  It should function just like any other mouse though.
Aside from lag issues, I have it doing that already.

Here's a link to what I have so far:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=60813.0

As per that link, someone wrote a driver for Linux, and also for the
"TopGun" (a third party GunCon2 clone), but I'm not sure whether or not
that code is portable.

Could anyone give me a hand with this?

Tony