Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:17:19 +0200
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        phantom@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird output with java/jdk14 while cleanning ports

Thanks Jean-Baptiste!

So I found what is broken: the Makefile overrides ${ECHO_MSG}.

This only occurs when you are missing some distfile (or patchfile) is
${DISTDIR}. You may try the attached patch to have an idea.

Basically, printf(1) is used because of the '\n' escapes that are used
to display error messages in 80 chars wide lines. My suggestion:

- Remove the ECHO_MSG override statements
- Write the error messages in separate, plain-old text files (in files/)
- Have IGNORE set to the content of these files, but filtered (with
  sed(1)) to print the correct values of ${JDK_VERSION} and ${SCSL_*}
  variables.

Alexey, if you agree with that, I will send a PR.

Hum. I realize now that we don't need files, just plain-old variables
and the correct sed(1) command to limit to 80 chars width. So I may
rather implement that if you prefer.

Herve