Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:57:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Do I Surf To My Server?

----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>=
=0ATo: Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr@yahoo.com>=0ACc: freebsd-questions@freeb=
sd.org=0ASent: Monday, February 19, 2007 12:49:22 PM=0ASubject: Re: How Do =
I Surf To My Server?=0A=0AOn Feb 19, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Drew Jenkins wrote:=
=0A=0A>Can you tell us more about your home set-up?  Presumably you have  =
=0A>some sort of router doing NAT and DHCP?  Tell us about it.=0A=0AI had, =
but perhaps in a different thread, so forgive me for not putting it here be=
fore. I have DHCP, a satellite dish to which both computers are linked.=0A=
=0A>If you don't know IP address of your internal server, than chances  =0A=
>are that it was assigned via DHCP by your router.  For what you want  =0A>=
to do, you should probably reconfigure the server with a specific  =0A>inte=
rnal IP address instead of having it assigned.=0A=0AI do have the IP addres=
s, and no doubt it was assigned. I found it using ifconfig. Is that the cor=
rect way to do it?=0A=0A>Assuming that I've guessed correctly about your se=
t-up:=0A>First find out from your router what the the range of the "DHCP po=
ol"  =0A>is.  Look at the DHCP configuration on your router.  Then pick an =
 =0A>address that is NOT in that range but still part of your local  =0A>ne=
twork.  Then use sysinstall on your FreeBSD box to give it that IP  =0A>add=
ress.=0A=0AIf ifconfig isn't the way to do that, could you specify how? sys=
install is a GUI, so it'll just ask me a question, or I'll have to look on =
a chart to find what I need, right? Easy, right?=0ATIA,=0ADrew=0A=0A=0A=0A=
______________________=0ADon't get soaked.  Take a quick peak at the foreca=
st=0Awith the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.=0Ahttp://tools.search.yahoo.c=
om/shortcuts/#loc_weather