Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:32:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        y2kgod@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!

y2kgod@aol.com wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Ok, I'm having trouble with my PPP connection. In the log it says this:
>
> Chat: Expect timeout
> Warning: Chat script failed
> Disconnected!!
>
> HELP!!!!!!

We'll need some more information to solve this problem for you. Below are
some general strategies, and questions that you should answer with your
next reply, if this information doesn't help you solve the problem.

The chat script (script that automatically negotiates your username/
password with the ISP's dial-in server on the other end) was expecting a
response from the server that it didn't receive. This has a few possible
causes:

1) The chat script is incorrect. Perhaps it was expecting login: (or
   ogin:), but the server sent "username:" instead. Check carefully
   and ask your ISP--maybe they have an existing chat script that
   you can use.
2) Your ISP is having trouble, or there is trouble with the physical
   connection, resulting in data loss and timeouts while negotiating
   your PPP session.
3) You have the wrong phone number, area code, country code prefix, etc,
   and the chat script is attempting to negotiate a dial-up login with
   a recorded message from your telco ("The number you have dialed...")
   Make sure you leave your modem speaker on while testing. :-)

Most likely, it is #1, but you better make sure #3 and #2 are looked
after first, in that order, or you have no way to verify #1.

If you make it that far, send us your chat script, and send us a terminal
log of one of the unsuccessful connections.

Also, you didn't tell us whether this:
	a) has always been the case with this ISP?
	b) worked fine under identical configuration until now?
	c) came as the result of a new installation/config changes?

Hope this helps
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon