Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:28:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD lounge...

> > but I do agree with Luigi on using GSM for audio...  it's really great
> > on modem links (Luigi and I have used it between us, and each time one
> > of us was behind a modem)...  and you can still use your modem for
> > other stuff...  (gsm is encodes 160 16-bit samples into 33bytes)...
>
> When I've done this point-to-point it worked fine as you say. When I
> did it multicast I got flooded with MBONE routing updates and it
> sucked so much of my modem bandwidth that RIP routes failed to get
> through and my link died. I used the mrouted.conf "bandwidth"
> parameter to leave me some room on my line for non-MBONE
> traffic. After a while, the mrouting stabilized and became a low
> overhead.

the way i use it is not to run a tunnel across the modem line (which
btw is not easy to set up unless you have an ethernet interface on
your machine at home -- mrouted refuses to start when you have a
single interface), but rather using a gateway program like my
"tcoder" (at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html ).
In fact, since tcoder does audio conversion to GSM or LPC, the source
format is not really a problem...

	cheers
	luigi