Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:19:46 -0400
From:      Scott Augustus <scott@visgen.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   named errors

Hey!

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD but have a lot of experience with
OpenBSD.  I've got a couple of servers that I'm having difficulty getting
named running properly on and can't seem to find much documentation on the
topic.

I'd say I've got named about 99% done but I'm having problems doing an
interactive nslookup from other machines to these freebsd boxes (ie:
nslookup - freebsdbox)  I get the following errors:

*** Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Non-existent
host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

However, you can do local interactive nslookups no problem.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with hosed PTR records or
something.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips as to what would cause
this to happen or maybe point me at a good named doc/faq, or sample
named.conf files for FreeBSD, which I've yet to find!

Best Regards,

Scott Augustus
Systems/Network Administrator
Visible Genetics Inc.