Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 21:09:18 -0600
From:      "Otto E. Solares" <solca@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS & NIS Problems

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you can help me with this problem:

I work for a university and we have many pc's in our internet
labs, we are using FreeBSD 2.2.8 for clients and one server,
the server is an Pentium II 400MHz, 64MB RAM, HD 8 GB.
The clients are Pentium 200MMX with 32MB RAM. The
server have the roles of NFS, NIS and SMB server. We
use NFS to mount the home partition to all clients, we use
NIS to authenticate any user in any client and use SMB
when the client is not in FreeBSD but in Windoze. All
this have the intention to use a more secure and more
flexible administration and control issues. So when a
client launches FreeBSD in any client the waiting time
is very big but the real problem is when the user log in,
he/she has to wait too a very large amount of time, when
the user is logged in, he opens any program and it lock up
(not the machine but the app). I was experimenting with
this so i perform in a client an simple command in any
user's home dir:  time ls (0:00.24) and time ls -l (RPC
time out).  This is a little bit strange because ls i think
uses NFS without problem but ls -l uses NFS and
NIS (i think).  This happens with any number of users
logged in (form 1 to a max. of 60 users that are at the
same time logged in). The SMB daemon works perfectly
with any number of users. I will apreciate your help.

Thanks you.

Otto E. Solares