Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 10:24:23 +0300
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        "Tim E Schafer" <tim_schafer@agship.com>, "Java FreeBSD" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

Hi,

(cc'd to -emulation)

On Thursday 23 May 2002 02:42, Tim E Schafer wrote:
> What can be done to make the Linux compatibility later of FreeBSD work
> for the JDKs?

=09It is known that linux jdks with hotspot are not stable on
=09FreeBSD linux emulation. Must be something hard to fix,
=09since it has been like this for quite a long time.
=09(maybe this has something to do with signal handling
=09differences between linux and freebsd ?)

> I'm using FreeBSD 4.5 Release with the stock linux_base-6.1
> Should I be using something newer?

=09I tried 4.5-STABLE some time ago and at least
=09linux jdk 1.4.0 crashed like before.

> Is this a known problem?

=09Yes. Maybe someone on freebsd-emulation mailing
=09list could help. Before this gets fixed, one must be mad
=09to run a production server using linux-jdk + hotspot + freebsd.
=09Current solutions are (to my understanding) to either
=09use native jdk 1.3 (which has no hotspot - yet - so performance
=09is not so great) or install linux to your server and use linux-jdk
=09(which works ok but you can kiss goodbye for freebsd :-()

=09=09Ari S.