Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:20:43 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 systems shows no CPU states numbers with ACPI

--==_Exmh_1204233643_15386P

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:04:54 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I have an old Dell desktop with a 1 GHz PIII CPU.
> >
> > After upgrade to V7 yesterday I no longer see any CPU usage information
> > in top(1) or the CPU plots in gkrellm. (Yes, my kernel and world are in
> > sync and I cleaned out /usr/obj/* and /usr/include/* when I upgraded my
> > system.) I disabled ACPI and everything worked again.
> >
> > The ASL is pretty small. The output of acpidump -dt is only about 3100
> > lines. I have placed it along with a verbose dmesg and the config (PAK) at:
> > http://home.comcast.net/~ykoberman/FreeBSD/pak.asl.bz2
> > http://home.comcast.net/~ykoberman/FreeBSD/PAK
> > http://home.comcast.net/~ykoberman/FreeBSD/dmesg.boot
> >
> > Any idea what failed? I was running current on this system in the middle
> > of last year and it worked then, so it was sometime between then and now.
>
> Only thing I can think of is that cpufreq is now enabled by default.
> Try disabling it:
> hint.cpufreq.0.disabled="1"

No joy! I just rebooted with cpufreq disabled and it made no
difference.

I will try updating BIOS and see if that helps, but I don't think the
time involved in hunting it down is justified. This system was scheduled
for retirement last year and I hope to have a new dual core system
before long.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer