Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:48:58 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-arch@mawer.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

On 28/08/2006 10:01 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>
>> On 2006.08.25 23:36:12 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>>> In getting this into the base system itself?  Opt-in, default turned
>>> off,
>>> of course, but maybe as an option in sysinstall to be enabled easily?
>>
>> What is the advantage of having it in the base system compared to
>> ports?
>
> IMHO, official recognition ... more ppl will hopefully enable/use it if
> its part of the system itself, vs a "third party add on", which ports
> tends to denote ...

Not to mention it reduces the barrier to entry. It's a lot easier to
drop 2 lines in your periodic.conf and be done than to require someone
to update their ports tree, install the port, and then add the two lines.

The less steps (and thus effort) required, the more participation we
hope to get...

-Antony