Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:26:18 -0400
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "'David Banning'" <david+dated+1162436187.599fff@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: how to know what DNS server is being used

> On my registrars site I have two DNS servers listing. How
> would I know that 1) both are working. 2) which one is being used.

1) http://dnsreport.com

2) # tcpdump -n -i <iface> | grep .53 | grep domain.com

(where domain.com == the domain I want to find out if the server is
answering for)

Generally, you can do this on all of your name servers, and get a good
idea of which ones are handling DNS resolution at any particular time.

Steve