Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:34:03 +0100
From:      endzed@gmail.com
To:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Le 12 mars 2012 =E0 09:45, Alex Dupre a =E9crit :

> Mr Dandy wrote:
>> May be more correctly set PHP 5.4 by default to lang/php5, and =
repocopy=20
>> current lang/php5 into lang/php53?=20
>>=20
>> Probably current maintainer of php (@ale) has the plan ;)
>=20
> I've already created patches to update the current php5 port to 5.4. =
I'm
> waiting for fixes to other main php-related ports and the end of ports
> freeze to make them public and then commit them.
> I'm tired to listen at every PHP release that we should not update
> because everything broke (and on the other side people asking me when
> the port will be update, because it has incredible new features).
> Updating php port is a big task and will be done with the correct
> timing. Functions removed in php5.4 have been deprecated 10 year ago, =
if
> you still rely on them after more than 2 years PHP 5.3.0 has been
> released, then probably you should stick to lang/php52 port, or find a
> maintainer and a committer willing to create and maintain lang/php53.

As a small ISP/hosting company I understand very well both sides, since =
we have boxes on which we will need to keep php52, and other boxes on =
which we want to use php54 as soon as it will be ready in ports.

But as others said, I think that the issue should be addressed the same =
way as for i.e. python or perl, I mean one port per version lang/php52 =
lang/php53 lang/php54 etc. and by consequence no lang/php port

Why ? because this would be safer for users (no accidental version =
upgrade), and easier to handle for admin. Imho I would even try to =
separate completely php version and allow install of several versions in =
parallel.
Maybe this is harder to "insert" in ports tree - you know certainly =
better that I - but some other ports could then set dependencies over =
specific PHP version.=20

The point that you have no time to maintain more than one version at a =
time is not a real problem btw, we all know the enormous/great work =
you're doing on this since years, and I would not complain if from time =
to time you say "I'm moving to new php version". Older versions will =
then enter in "looking for new maintainer port" list and stay in port =
tree until someone can take care of it, or until some security/age =
stuffs push it in removed port list...

My 2 cts.

David, a happy user ;)