Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:10:50 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
Cc:        Filipe Brandenburger <filipe@procergs.rs.gov.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doing "batch" updates in single-user mode

In the last episode (Dec 12), devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org said:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:11:36AM -0300, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> > Sometimes I need to update some parts of the FreeBSD system in a way that
> > requires me to be in single-user mode. For example, if I want to replace
> > the libc, or if I want to keep my system current using CVSup and using
> > "make world", etc.

You don't *need* to be in single-user mode to do this.  I upgrade libc
quite often in multi-user mode, and almost every make world I've done
has been in multi-user mode.  You just have to remember that any
programs currently running will still use the old libraries, so untill
you reboot most of your system is still running the old code.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com