Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:05:24 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFR][ZFS] Add "zpool labelclear" command.

--UthUFkbMtH2ceUK2

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:08:32PM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> ZFS rightfully has a lot of safety belts in place to ward off unintended
> data loss.  But in some scenarios, the safety belts are so restrictive,
> the only way to proceed is to wipe the label information off of a drive.
>=20
> Here's an example:
>=20
> Pull a drive that is active in a pool on one system and stick it into
> another system.  ZFS will correctly reject this drive as a member of
> a new pool or as the argument of a replace command.  But if you really
> want to use that drive, how do you clear it's "potentially active"
> status?  If the pool were imported, you could destroy it, but ZFS wont
> allow you to import a pool unless there are sufficient members for it
> to serve I/O (I know about the undocumented -F option for import,
> but users aren't going to find that).  You can use dd to wipe the label
> data off, but where exactly does ZFS keep its for copies of the label?

In most of the cases like that you can use -f switch, eg. you can create
pool or replace vdev using one that is active when you use that switch.
I'm sure you are aware of this, so I guess it doesn't always work for you?

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com

--UthUFkbMtH2ceUK2