Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:32:21 +0100
From:      "ROGIER MULHUIJZEN" <MULHUIJZEN@PZH.NL>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changes in threading support

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 3.2-R to 3.4-R and there's a huge difference
in running xmms.

On 3.2-R I had to give it a realtime priority (lowest rtprio, 31,
worked fine) to make it run smoothly. With that realtime prio it usually
worked fine, except when it ran into a bug that made it go into an
endless loop..... (fun fun fun)

On 3.4-R it works straight out of the box. No realtime prio needed (so
no suid root, or manual su to root needed, no more machine hangs when it
stuffs up, yay!), just a negative renice when there's a fair load on the
system. BUT (and a big but at that) it now consumes all CPU available.
'top' reports 85-90% in the process list, and 60-65% user CPU, 35-40%
system CPU and 0-1% interrupt with just X, windowmaker and xmms running
(OK and an Eterm + top).

So my question is, what has changed between 3.2-R and 3.4-R that could
cause this?

BTW, I compiled xmms myself, and recompiled on 3.4 too.

And is this a xmms issue, or is it a FreeBSD issue? (So I know whether
to spend time looking at xmms source and patching that, or whether to
get into the threading development)

One thing I need to add, but I doubt it has much impact, is that I
haven't upgraded my OSS to the 3.4-R version yet (because the stupid
webproxy here fucks up transfermode on ftp downloads. "Binary mode?
whazzat?")

Second question, which libpthread do I need to compile with 'cc
-kthread'?

            DocWilco