Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:26:03 -0400
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun/Sony monitor modelines

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 1999 at 07:05:49AM -0700, Dan Busarow wrote:

> > > This is interesting. We have lots of Sun monitors lying around at
> > > work (most of our customers are downgrading to NT).
> > >
> > > I'm not familiar with the Mirage card. Is it a special for driving
> > > Sun monitors on PCs? or will any (modern) graphics card work (yes,
> > > I know you need a special cable as Sun use 3W13, or is it 13W3,
> > > connectors).
> >
> > It's a special card that lets you drive a fixed frequency monitor.
> > Price isn't bad either when you consider the cost of a used Sun
> > monitor vs. a new 19-21" monitor. I paid $145 for the card and $15
> > for the VGA to 13W3 cable.

Just FYI, guys, I've been running fixed-freq Sony
and Hitachi monitors here for some time from "ordinary"
VGA cards. I've tried Cirrus, ATI, and now S3 Virge and
they will all drive a GDM-1920 or GDM-1950 at 1024x768.
These monitors have BNC connectors, R,G,B, Vsync and Hsync.
Some require inverting either H or V sync or both.

The only drawback to doing it this way is you can't
use the virtual terminals or see the boot messages, as
the monitor won't lock to 640x480 and only works in X.

I've seen these monitors for as little as $10 dollars
at flea markets in like-new condition.

I have not played with the GDM-1968.

Jim Durham