Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:00:54 -0800
From:      "Charles Mauch" <cpm@yoonax.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Having a Problem with NAT and FTP

> "Richard" writes:
>  +---------------
>  | Thank you.  Your answer makes sense.  Funny thing though, I had a LINUX
>  | Box before the FreeBSD firewall and LINUX's masquerading was able to do
>  | it.  I guess, there are advantages and disadvantages to every OS.
>  | Thanks
>  +---------------
>
> The common FTP client on many linux distros uses PASV by default.
> Because of the longer legacy for FreeBSD, its default FTP client
> uses the older mode of operation.
>
> We could discuss the relative merit of each default choice.  My opinion is
> that PASV is a better default for the modern internet since it
> enables more
> systems and most modern servers support it.

A trick I learned a while back was setting the evironment variable
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=1 .  Most ftp clients see it and adapt accordingly.  I had
a couple of FreeBSD boxes behind a firewall a while back and it was the
easiest way to get stuff in the ports collection to 'make' ;)

Charles / cpm@yoonax.net