Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:57:54 -0500
From:      Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and Java

Hello,

The gist of my question is: What do I need to be able to run JSP and/or Java
Servlets (I gather these are 2 different entities?) under Apache-1.3.x and
FreeBSD?  The rest of this message is a more detailed account of what I'm
running across, but it's rather long-winded.  Perhaps it may show someone
where the confusion lies and the docs can be improved.

Thanks for all the efforts everyone on the FreeBSD team has put in so far -
it's a great product!

-- begin confusion (long, optional) --
I want to be able to run Java servlets on a FreeBSD machine.  I'm new to
this aspect of Java, and I'm finding this incredibly confusing.

The Apache Foundation has Jakarta, which according to their site really
isn't anything.  Jakarta has Alexandria, Ant, Avalon, Commons, ECS, James,
Jetspeed, JMeter, Log4j, ORO, Regexp, Slide, Struts, Taglibs, Tomcat,
Turbine, Velocity and Watchdog.

Tomcat appears to be on the right track - so I tried to build the mod_jk
included in the distribution, and it complains about missing JAVA 2 headers.

Okay, so I guess I need Java 2 for FreeBSD.  But what do I really need:
(snippet from /usr/ports/java):
jad
jaf
java-cup
javamail
javavmwrapper
jce-aba
jdbcpool
jdk
jdk-doc
jdk-tutorial
jdk12-beta
jfc
jikes
jlex
jpda
jre
jsdk

Okay, so obviously it isn't javamail, but is it jre?  jdk?  jdk12-beta?
jsdk?  I'm getting the impression that jdk12-beta is java 2 (since java 2 is
really java 1.2...sigh), follow those instructions, fetch the jdk-1...-src
from Sun and the patches from wherever, but the checksum on the patches fail.  So I
Say what the heck, at this point I'll do anything, and I override the
checksum.  Then the make install decides it needs
jdk1.1.8_ELF.V1999-11-9.tar.gz.  Why?  This isn't Java2/Java1.2.  And this
is another 11MB file to download, and the mirror it grabs it from is
probably some dial-up in Elbonia, since I'm getting 1k/s.

So at this point I realize that I'm in way over my head, and I ask for help.

--
Adam Maloney
At Home @ Whee