Date:      Sun, 25 May 97 19:16:31 PDT
From:      Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   No reboot on HP Vectra XA 166 (MMX)

I recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.1R (from CD) on my HP Vectra
XA 166 MMX machine here at work.  Everything works beautifully
(and fast, BTW!) except for reboots.  From FreeBSD, the machine
is impossible to reboot... er... I mean... FreeBSD does its reboot
routine, and the screen goes black (and I can't drop down into the
kernel debugger or etc..) and stays that way indefinitely.  Win95
seems to tickle the right bits, as does Linux.  I've played with the
BIOS settings dealing with everything, to no avail.  I assume FreeBSD
is just using the ol' keyboard controller reboot (with a fallback to a
triple-fault or something...), so I'm a little baffled.  Anybody else
out there seen this behavior??  It really sucks when I wedge the machine
remotely :(  (BTW... the 'wedges' I speak of seem to have the same
inode-free but not really problem that Thomas David Rivers speaks of
periodically)  Thanks,

-Troy

--
| Troy Curtiss, HW/SW Engineer | Email: troyc@merix.com       |