Date:      Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:01:03 +0000
From:      Michael <mlmichael70@gmail.com>
To:        bschmidt@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient (possibly all networking) not working with some routers and WPA

On 09/03/2011 07:00, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

>> The tricky part is that it says it is associated but has IP of 0.0.0.0.
>> So it looks like encryption part is working and then other communication
>> fails.
>>

> Do I get that right? You've tried setting a fixed IP? Can you also run
> tcpdump on a remote side? How does your wpa_supplicant.conf look like?
> Do you have any other device available? an USB wlan stick or something
> to rule out the Atheros hardware.

Yes, I have tried what follows:
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0" in /etc/rc.conf
as well as manually after it's associated:
route flush
ifconfig wlan0 inet 192.168.0.30 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default 192.168.0.1

and in both cases when I try to ping my router I get "host down". The
wireless led on the router is flashing green at that time.
ping (and dhcp) to that router works fine if I don't use encryption and
it works fine over the wire.

tcpdump on the router is not available as it's just a closed embedded
device (NETGEAR N300 series, but keep in mind that I'm experiencing the
same problem with different router as well).

My wpa_supplicant.conf file:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
network={
         ssid="NETGEAR"
         scan_ssid=1
         bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
         priority=9
         mode=0
         proto=RSN
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
         auth_alg=OPEN
         pairwise=CCMP
         group=CCMP
         psk="passphrase"
}

Unfortunately I don't have access to any other wireless cards. Anything
else I can provide to help with narrowing it down?

Michael