Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:46:48 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird USB lockup with Linksys USB100TX NIC

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:02:35PM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> So I have one of these, that I bought cheap on eBay.  It was working just
> fine on my main -STABLE workstation (Abit KG7 motherboard), up until last
> Friday when I moved it onto the VIA EPIA-M machine I'm building.  The NIC
> was detected OK as aue0, then the machine locked up running dhclient.  It
> turns out that it wasn't really hung, but apparently spinning in the kernel
> on behalf of ifconfig.  I say apparently, because the only thing I could
> figure out was that I had an ifconfig process consuming vast amounts of CPU
> in a wait on 'usbdly', before I got fed up waiting ~20s for keypresses to
> respond and rebooted.
>
> I've since discovered that I can reproduce this on demand by booting single
> user and doing an 'ifconfig down aue0'.  This will take at least a minute
> to complete and leaves the machine almost totally unresponsive afterwards.
> I'll often get a bunch of 'usb error on rx: IOERROR' kernel messages while
> ifconfig is running.  The NIC seems to still work OK otherwise.

That's the network card that I use.  Try plugging it into a 10 base
connection (instead of 100 base) and watch it work.  I could never work
out why it hung my machine in 100 base mode.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe@tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/