Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:36:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        peadar.edwards@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS + VM question

Peter Edwards wrote:
 > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:49:48 +0100, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
 > > On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 04:27:38PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > > [...]
 > > > If the memory isn't shared in this situation, is there a
 > > > way to change the design so it can be shared?  chroot and
 > > > NFS are "musts", though.
 > >
 > > I don't think there is an easy way to get this caching to happen,
 > > short of using hard links or some kind of union mount instead of
 > > NFS.
 >
 > "nullfs" sounds like just the job here. ie, mount the NFS filesystem
 > once, then use nullfs to graft it into each chroot area:
 >
 > mount host:/usr /mnt
 > mount -tnullfs /mnt /jail/1
 > mount -tnullfs /mnt /jail/2
 >
 > Of course, there's more overhead than if you weren't using the extra
 > nullfs layer, but the caching works as you want.

Thanks for the explanation.

It really sounds like nullfs would be the solution for me,
but unfortunately, I can't use it because of the known pro-
blems of nullfs in FreeBSD 4-stable (which is the branch
that I'm using).

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh