Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 04:54:17 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Performance issues and a funky telnetd error...

Good morning everyone...

	With some help from one of the regulars on here, I've been able to get the
new addition to my "fleet" up and running with FreeBSD.  It's a laptop
(WinBook FX, Pentium 133, 32 Megs of RAM) and should fit the bill for my
needs.  My problems are as follows:

	1) First and foremost, I plan to use this machine for when I go back to
college this fall as a portable workstation type deal.  Nothing big and
fancy, as I realize the hardware extremely limits it.  But, at this point,
having just played around with it a little, I am not very happy with the GUI
response.

	I've tried running Enlightenment and Gnome on it which gave extremely poor
performance.  I switched to TWM with Gnome and things picked up a bit, but
still not to the point that I would like.  I also have a user set up on the
machine to run KDE which is an improvement over the other two, but still not
as peppy as Windows98 (which is also on the HDD in the machine).

	Is there something out there that I could use that's really stripped down
that would still be user friendly?  I'm not adverse to the idea of a spartan
user environment, I just want to use something like Star Office and Netscape
on it.

	2) This is more of a networking issue, but I'm hoping someone could help me
resolve this.  I've tried telnetting to the machine, and I always get the
following error:

	telnetd: All network ports in use.

	I'd really like to be able to telnet into my notebook (as crazy as that may
seem to some people).  Any pointers on fixing this would be great.  As far
as I can remember, I did not set the machine up with ultra tight security
from the standard install, so this should not be a problem.

	3) There really is no #3... so far.  *grins*

	Any help in these matters would be very appreciated.

--- Andy