Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:53:57 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

At 02:19 PM 13/04/2004, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

>OK, for the record I asked sam@.  He says that the VPN1401 has issues
>for (at a minimum) symmetric crypto ops, but he hasn't had time to
>investigate and doesn't own a 1401, so...
>
>So, it looks like my choices are rapidly narrowing.  It seems that the
>powercrypt cards are well-supported, perhaps I'll give them a call.

I think the powercrypt is based on the same HiFn chip and uses the same
driver, so it might be hit by the same bug that I am running into both on
FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  Then again, it could be some issue with openssl as to
how it talks to the card.  Still, there were reports by one ipsec user on
OpenBSD that they had problems with the card and IPSEC.

I would love to hear from any FreeBSD or OpenBSD user with the 1401 to see
if they can reproduce this bug.

         ---Mike