Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:24:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Me <d3javu1978@yahoo.com>
To:        Jeff Lewis <jlewis1957@netscape.net>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shell Games

Hi,
I would suggest reading Absolute BSD by Michael Lucas,
he covers pretty much every question you asked in
great detail. Building firewalls with IPFILTER,
Installing
Apache, diffrent kernel operation modes, file system
security using chflags and other utilities. Diffrent
shells are there for flexibility more then any thing,
it just depends on what you like and how you plan to
use your system. Here is a link that explains shells
in more detail
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/shell-differences/

Scripting languages like PERL and Bash serve diffrent
purposes. I do alot of Bash scripting to automate alot
of day to day task, the possibilities are endless
using a scripting language such as bash.
If you're interested, a great book is UNIX Shell
Programing by Stephen Kochan, Patrick Wood.

Br,

-JL