Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 07:42:18 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Illustrated Installation Guide

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 15:18, you wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I finished the first pass of the installation guide in sgml format. Since
> > this is my first attempt, I'm sure there's still work that needs to be
> > done (sgml and content).
>
> Nicely done sir!
>
> Hope you don't mind a couple nitpicks:

I appreciate the nitpicks...after all, I need to learn to use things right.

> 1.  You used <keycap></keycap> elements in a few places where it's not
> quite appropriate (look for the first couple or three times this gets
> used).  Told you this was a nitpik.

Absolutely. I forgot to go back and fix those after I found keycap's intended
use for _keys_ that are pressed on the keyboard.

> 2.  There's a few places where you refer to programs such as ifconfig,
> et al.  Usually we use &man entities for this (so ifconfig would be
> written &man.ifconfig.8;).  This makes hyperlinks to HTML-ized manpages
> work.

Hmm.. I used &man.moused.8 in Chapter 22. Mouse Settings and shows up as
"moused(8)" but not as a hyperlink. Perhaps I have something else amiss
locally.

> Don't know if you have tried this yet, but I thought the PDF version of
> your file looked pretty nifty too....
>
> 	% make FORMATS=pdf
> 	% acroread book.pdf

Excellent. I didn't install JadeTeX and teTeX since I was installing docproj
via ftp. I'll pick that up when the cd's arrive.

> I personally would love to see this document replace the installation
> guide in RELNOTESng.  About the only thing that it has that your preview
> does not is how one goes about actually obtaining the distribution.  In
> any case, we ought to have more pointers to your document.

I've also been slacking on publicizing the document. There's a myriad of
links across the web to its present location but that's easily changed.  The
documents should be where they do potential new users the most good.

Randy