Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:29:37 GMT
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        list@rachinsky.de, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Error message while using ppp

>Hallo,

Hello.

>I'm using ppp and nat on freebsd to "dial" on demand via PPPoE.
>On the first "dialout" I get the following error (cut from dmesg):
>
>module_register: module netgraph already exists!
>linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
>
>everything seems to work fine , but I want to know if this has any real
>meaning and how can I get rid of it.

I also got those messages and following a suggestion I found either on this
mailing list archive or a newsgroup I added this line to my kernel config
file...

options         NETGRAPH_ETHER

... and it fixed the messages coming up but I suspect it's a bit of a
sledge-hammer solution. Of course I have these options too (I don't comment
any of them out)...

options         NETGRAPH
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET

I'm sure the messages you're getting can be ignore but if they bother you
(as they did me) try adding just the NETGRAPH_ETHER option to your kernel
config. If that doesn't solve it you can then try uncommenting the other two
Netgraph options and you should see success.

BTW - I am using 4.1.1-RELEASE.

Aaron Hill