Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:29:56 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Default mousepointer position

>[Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> > After login, mousepointer appearse at 0,0
>> > Since mouse not actively used, it can stay much time there, maybe forever.
>> > The disadvantage of it is that recognition of the character
>> > at 0,0 becomes much harder, so I forced to move mouse off without
>> > mouse-related reason or look from closer position.
>>
>> Why do you turn on the mouse if you dont use it ??
>
>I think, you understand :-)
>I use it rare on some screens for cut & paste and never use
>it on another screens. If you interested in my personal approx
>statistics: for 4 hours of work I use mouse 5 times on 3 screens
>(from 12). Since it is hard to guess moment when mouse will be
>needed, and it can happens even inside program, I turn mouse
>on in my .login.

How about having the pointer go away after a 30 second timeout?  As
soon as you move the mouse, it comes back?  Word uses this trick
so that the mouse is never in your way while you type.

>Middlescreen is not good, because cover some character too.
>I choose last position because it is almost impossible (without
>special IC/DC trick) put the characer there due to line wrapping,
>so it stays empty most of time.

It would probably be the best place if you added the timeout.  That
way, it could be enabled by default and new users would know that there
is a mouse pointer to be used.

BTW, using the mouse in syscons still shakes my screen every once in
a while (#9GXE L12).

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations