Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 16:17:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-hackers)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   anyone have a memory test?

Sorry for the repost -- if you've seen this twice...  I bounced my last
due to an aliases screw up -- Bill

I've been fighting memory problems ever since I pulled out my motherboard
and installed a new one.

Unfortunately, the new one didn't work -- so I put back the old one.
(The simms never came off it when it was pulled  -- so I expected no problem...
however, it's now sig-11, sig6 city.

Dos based memory tests show nothing (I've got 20 meg... my best diag
doesn't test past 16).

FreeBSD boots, runs, and sig-11's occasionally during make world and heavy
X stuff.  I went from 20 meg to 8mb of 1mb simms -- same problem.
I went to 16mb of 4mb simms -- same problem.

I reseated and enabled and disabled the cache... same problem.

I swapped in a DX2/66 to try to see if the problem would show up or go away
with a CPU reseat/replacement.  No luck.

I'm waiting for the new motherboard -- and I have new 72 pin simms for it.
(It's en route from the company as a swap with the bad one.)

Anyone have a memory test recommendation that works short of a hardware
memory test.   I remember FreeBSD 1.5 pulled out errors on my wife's box
that were causing crashes under OS/2 and SIG11's under Linux.

I sure miss minicomputers with real memory controllers with memory
address registers that latch parity errors and report the address.
I sure miss BSD on a Vax that reported the ECC location and correction bits...

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win95 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.