Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:37:06 -0400
From:      jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Nattapoom Pumipun <nattapoom@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raid problem

Nattapoom Pumipun wrote:

> i have problem can't install freebsd
> my system is
> cpu : intel pentium 4 2.8c
> mainboard : tyan tomcat s5102
> hdd : 2xseagate 40gb IDE
> raid : promise fasttrax 378 onboard
>
> i can't boot to install freebsd
> it just boot from cd to line btx loader and then it will restart all
> time can't do anything
>
> I try to install in 1 drive in primary ide it's work.
>
> that raid can install winxp perfect and can boot to install linux
> normal but freebsd can't
> how can i solve this problem
>
> regard
> Gle

I had a similar problem once.  I was booting from a sata raid control
and compiled a kernel without ata raid support.  It would reboot after
the modules preloaded and before the boot menu came up.  I would
recommend making a bootable cd with a custom kernel, or just a new one
with the right(or all) drivers for raid.

I haven't heard of btx loader before, but google just came back with a
load of stuff, including an email on the freebsd lists about a bios
update fixing some raid controller that would otherwise prevent you from
booting.