Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 770 hangs during boot -- available memory probe problem? (was: trouble with sio on Thinkpad 770)

Hi,

I tried adding options VM86 to a 3.0 kernel from 19980711-SNAP but this
did not fix the problem.  I noticed in the LINT config that npx0 now has
an iosiz parameter that can be set to the memory size instead of MAXMEM
and that this can be set with userconfig as well.  This option does work
when I set it in the kernel config file but does not work when using
userconfig since it only takes effect on the next boot after the parameter
is recorded in the kernel -- since the machine hangs during boot it never
gets recorded -- a catch 22 scenario.

This is all very useful for working around the problem and I thank you for
it but is not getting at the deeper issue of what is going wrong in the
first place and to determine the appropriate action to take -- either fix
FreeBSD or give useful information to IBM so they can fix their BIOS.  I'm
looking for direction and assistance in what I should be looking at to get
a handle on the deeper issue.

Thanks again,

Tom