Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:51:23 +0000
From:      bruce@cran.org.uk
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with zzz failing on FreeBSD 7/amd64

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:32:45PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> Been spending some time setting up my new Lenovo T61 laptop.
>
> 7.0 ... just cvsupped and build world/kernel yesterday.  Ports have
> installed nicely, have xfce4, Firefox, Sylpheed, OpenOffice.org.
>
> So far, the only snag I'm getting is suspending the laptop.  Entering
> zzz returns:
> acpiconf: request sleep type (3) failed: Operation no supported
>
> I've tried manually kldloading acpi_ibm.ko (which seems to recognize
> the Thinkpad) but it doesn't change the problem.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions.  I don't need this laptop for a few weeks,
> so I'm open to just about any type of debugging folks could ask me to
> do.

Are you running an amd64 build?  I came across the same issue on my
Dell laptop and found the following code in acpi_ReqSleepState:

#if !defined(__i386__)
  /* This platform does not support acpi suspend/resume. */
  return (ENOTSUPP);
#endif

I guess that's where the "Operation not supported" error is coming from,
at least on amd64.

--
Bruce Cran