Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:30:01 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Peterhin <hindrich@worldchat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configure X Server

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 12:23 pm, Peterhin wrote:
> On February 15, 2005 12:09, you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 February 2005 10:55 am, Peterhin wrote:
> > > I have just installed Freebsd 5.3 using a standard install, with
> > > all packages, and ports.
> > >
> > > When I go to Configure X (as per the handbook 2.9.12) using
> > > "Configure" Do post-install configuration of Freebsd, in the
> > > Configuration menu there is no sub menu "XFree86"
> > >
> > > Where did I go wrong.?
> >
> > Use Chapter 5.4 instead:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.
> >ht ml
> >OK thats great, now that I am there, my problem is with  say 'ee'
>
> how do I edit the text.?
> I am a total newbie to the CLI. Any help would be appreciated.
> I typed 'ee  xorg.conf.new' it gives me the editor and the
> 'xorg.conf.new' at the bottom of the screen.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of CLI.  Don't get frustrated
-- it takes some getting used to.

In ee, you should see helpful lists of commands at the top, followed by
the file's contents.  Most of the commands begin with "^", which
represents the control button on your keyboard.  For example, to delete
a character, you would press the control button and the "d" key at the
same time.  (You may find that the delete and backspace keys work fine
on your keyboard, however; so you won't need some of the commands.)

It might also be helpful to open ee's man page on a different terminal.
If you hit Alt-F2, you should find yourself at a new terminal.  Alt-F1
will bring you back to your original terminal.  This allows you to run
multiple programs in the foreground.  You can go to Alt-F2 and execute
'man ee' for documentation on ee while you have ee running with an open
file at Alt-F1.  Then, you can switch back and forth as needed.

> Now I don't know what to do with it, to get to the  Section 'Monitor'

Have you tried moving up and down the document using the keys for Page
Up, Page Down or arrow keys?

If ee can't find the file you're editing, it will open a new, empty file
with the name you specified.  If you don't see any contents in the
file, ee may think you're starting a new document.  Make sure you were
root when you executed 'Xorg -configure'.  Also make sure the current
working directory is /root so that ee can find xorg.conf.new easily.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould