Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:15:08 -0600
From:      "Murray's Listserv Account" <mgd@brutus.converging.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   checksum.md5 and 4.1-install.iso

I read recently in this newsgroup that the checksum.md5 files are used
to verify the integrity of files. One would issue the following
command: md5 <filename> and compare the returned string with the
string listed in the checksum.md5 file.

However, I have not been able to find an md5.exe file or equivalent
for Windoze. I downloaded the .iso file to my local w2k hard-drive and
now wish to verify that it downloaded correctly. Where does one find
md5 for Windows? I looked on FreeBSD.org's site and on my 3.4 CD but I
couldn't find any reference to md5.

I could simply burn the CD to verify the file's integrity but I am
very curious of the process because just about every ftp folder on
freebsd.org's site has a checksum.md5 file.

--
Murray Davis
Converging Technology Solutions