Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:58:37 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Steve Coile <scoile@nandomedia.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions \(Request\)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. RedHat

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
Steve Coile <scoile@nandomedia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> [...]
> >That is one of the things we like most. We can always find things
> >where they're supposed to be, not where someone chose to put them
> >for some particular reason. And that on each and every machine we
> >have.
>
> Uhhh...  The hier(7) man page is part of every flavor of UNIX.
> Every flavor defines some standard for filesystem layout.  This
> isn't a BSD-only thing.
>
> Further, FreeBSD isn't the only distribution that puts things "where
> they're supposed to be".  "Where they're supposed to be" is defined
> by Unix community convention and the OS vendor.  You really should
> be saying"FreeBSD puts things where I expect them to be".  Your
> expectations don't necessarily conform to Unix community convention.

:)

True. Better yetto say that FreeBSD has learned me to expect some type of files  to be in specific places. So it's some identity ;) here.

What I was trying to point out is that "real and original directory structures"  of a what_ever_I_get_from _the_net should conform to hier(7) (of what ever system they are installed on ..., in particular for bsd's hier). Qmail and friends bothers me for that.

> One thing that bugs me about many Unix vendors, including FreeBSD,
> is a willingness to put state files under /usr.  /usr should not
[..]
> I can put /usr on a separate partition, make it read-only, and not
> have to worry about something tinkering with it.  And I can put /var
> on another partition,
> prevent execute permission on it, and not have to worry
> about some hacker installing (binary) tools on it.

You got a point here. If you're asking me, the *big* design problem is the suid thing.

[..]

I'm not trying to start a flame here. I'm using Linux on some desktops and I've moved 90% percent of one customer pcs from win to a FreeBSd Linux mix. In fact my first contact with the *nix world was with a Red Hat. (Still remember a few hours with an old System V book and LILO refusing to boot :-) ). After which I've got 2.2.2 FreeBSD and felt in love :).

> packages installed on my Red Hat Linux system came from, either.
> Oh, and that's *ALL* the files provided by the operating system, not
> just those installed with add-on packages.  For instance:
>
> 	$ rpm -qf /etc/passwd
> 	setup-2.5.25-1

buh>/ports/distfiles# which passwd
/usr/bin/passwd
so it's /usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/ (==> /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/passwd/)

Now consider no hier - I've did the mistake of inventing my on directory structure for an app once and I still suffer.

I still think that the ports system is (at least for my needs) superior to rmps. It simplify the building from source in many cases, but you can always do a make extract and start patching around.

--
IOnut
FreeBSD unregistered ;) user