Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:04:58 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        batie@aahz.jf.intel.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: onboard sound problem

Oliver Fromme:
 |Alan Batie wrote:
 | > a half second of sound, etc.  I disabled the lpt port, noticing that the
 | > irq's conflicted, but it made no difference.  The error says it's DMA that's
 | > failing anyhow...  Thoughts?
 | > [...]
 | > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
 | > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
 | > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
 |
 |I had exactly the same problem, using an AWE32 on IRQ 7.
 |I solved the problem by switching the lpt port to I/O polled
 |mode, i.e. in your kernel config file, change the following
 |line
 |   device   lpt0   at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
 |to something like this:
 |   device   lpt0   at isa? port? tty
 |Then recompile and install your kernel and reboot.

Another option you can try is specifying the "conflicts" option on your sb0
kernel config.  E.g. (see the sb0 line that's not commented out):

   controller      snd0
   device pas0     at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 3 vector pasintr
   device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
   #device sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
   device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
   device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
   # Yamaha OPL-2/OPL-3 FM - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS
   device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
   #device awe0    at isa? port 0x620

Though if IRQ 5 is free in your system, move the soundcard to that.  The
traditional SB16 config is IRQ5 DMA1 (8-bit) for the SB part and DMA5
(16-bit) for the SB16 part.

Randall