Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 22:42:38 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), mike@smith.net.au, paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

> > On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 12:09:05PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > It's erroneous to use device-specific PnP ID's when the generic
> > > fallback ID is available.
>
> But this is not always the case: e.g. the OPTI931 audio card does not
> seem to have a fallback ID in the PnP description . So in the end, i
> think it is always better to use the specific PnP ID.
> My experience with audio cards is that devices are sufficiently
> different from each other to require the specific id's.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this entirely.

If you need the specific ID, by all means use it.  Think of it like a
quirk entry - if the generic ID says "this is an NE2000 clone" and you
don't have a specific ID match telling you otherwise then you're stupid
not to go with the generic ID.

> But i don't think it is worth the effort to implement a full scan of
> the PnP info.  What I think we would really need is a simple
> mechanism (perhaps in userconfig) to list vendor_id's known to the
> kernel, and map new id's to know ids.
>
> Something like
>
> boot> pnp ls id
>      0x3600630e	CS4236
>      0x3000a865 Yamaha SA3
>      0x3109143e	OPTi931
> boot> pnp map 0x3500630e 0x3600630e
> boot> pnp ls id
>      0x3600630e CS4236
>      0x3000a865 Yamaha SA3
>      0x3109143e	OPTi931
>      0x3500630e --> mapped to 0x3600630e
>
> Wouldn't be too hard to add (just set up a list of id's, to fill up with
> DATA_SET in the kenrel, and modify userconfig to add the above
> commands), and it is sufficiently flexible  to add new 'compatible'
> devices.

Linking this into the kernel would be bad; it ought to be read from a
file.  I think I am close to having BIOS disk access working at least
from userconfig and other early-kernel places (interrupts are a
concern), if this approach is favoured.  An alternative (and probably
better) method would be for the third-stage bootstrap to do a PnP scan
and save the relevant entries from this file for reference by the
kernel.  This hinges on the three-stage bootstrap, which I haven't done
anything with this week yet.

> > Eivind, who added the original if_ed PnP code (port from sio).
>
> Luigi, who added kernel PnP support :)

Mike, who complains a lot about PnP.  8(