Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:28:02 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        JJB <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: timezone command

--sMkrXc3gAYLRVOjR

On Thursday, 15 April 2004 at 22:15:06 -0400, JJB wrote:
> Time zone has been set during sysinstall.
> Is there an console command to display my configured time zone like
> format +05:00?

Not quite like that (are you in Pakistan?).  The problem is that time
zones aren't that simple: they contain information about daylight
savings time, as well as implicit historical information that gets
lost when you reduce it to a number.  Admittedly, Pakistan doesn't
seem to have DST, but that's the way it is.

In general, the system time zone is stored in the file /etc/localtime.
You can set it with:

  # cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Karachi /etc/localtime=20
  # date
  Fri Apr 16 08:55:27 PKT 2004

If you remove it, it defaults to "GMT" (really UTC):

  # rm /etc/localtime
  # date
  Fri Apr 16 03:55:37 GMT 2004

Even then, you can specify the time zone explicitly with the TZ
environment variable:

  # TZ=3DAsia/Karachi date
  Fri Apr 16 08:55:45 PKT 2004

Greg