Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 11:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP

:I just picked myself up a SMP MB and 2 P-II-400s.  I just want to tell you
:"way to go!".
:
:There is one bit of wierdness though.  I run setiathome for FreeBSD, and I
:usually run it with 'setiathome >logfile&', then I tail -f that logfile.
:For some reason the 'tail -f' is not working; the logfile is getting written
:to, if I access it in a different terminal (cat, a new tail, whatever) I see
:the additiional information.  Any ideas?
:
:I am running with softupdates.  I can provide a dmesg and config file if
:it is usefull, I am also running a debugging kernel with DDB so I can
:try anything you need :)
:
:--
:David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
:Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd
    Are you sure you aren't restarting setiathome?  tail -f tracks the seek
    position of the file.  If you restart setiathome without restarting the
    tail, the logfile will truncate to seek position 0 but the tail will still
    be hanging onto whatever seek position it had gotten to before.

    p.s. I'm running setiathome on both of my SMP boxes too.  I think it's a
    much better use of idle cpu then trying to break encryption keys.  I'm
    not redirecting it to a log file, though.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,         |  Ph: 518.276.2860
:Department of Computer Science            |  Fax: 518.276.4033
:I speak only for myself.                  |  WinNT:Linux::Linux:FreeBSD