Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:41:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable to 3.0 transition

In article <199810190836.MAA01535@amsoft.ru>
Andrew Maltsev <am@amsoft.ru> wrote:

> What are possible caveats of transition from 2.2-stable system to
> 3.0? Will usual `make world' do the thing?

This weekend I migrated my machine from 2.2-STABLE (last updated early
September) to 3.0-CURRENT.

1. Get the 3.0 source. I threw away the 2.2 one and cvsup'ed for tag=. .

2. You probably want to move to ELF right away. "make aout-to-elf" will
   handle this. It first builds a new aout-System and then makes an ELF
   system. This takes a fair amount of disk space. I didn't watch
   exactly, but probably on the order of 300..400MB. After the ELF
   installation it will reboot with a 3.0 GENERIC kernel. Take a look at
   /usr/src/Makefile.upgrade, the main steps are quite transparent and
   ask for confirmation.

3. The usual stuff, build a new custom kernel, merge /etc.

That's it. You probably also need to install a new X11, and update at
least those ports that touch utmp.

It didn't work out quite that easily for me. In the middle of the ELF
installworld I ran into a bad disk block. That went away but I umount'ed
and fsck'ed /usr just to be safe. Bad move. There already was a new
3.0-aout /sbin/mount installed and that didn't work with the 2.2 kernel:
"mount: ufs filesystem is not available". Oops. I had to get an old 2.2
mount executable back from backup. The 3.0-R fixit.flp appears to be
broken, I finally copied over the mount executable from the fixit floppy
of an old 2.2-SNAP I happened to still have lying around.

Another thing to be careful about is the move to the new CAM devices,
i.e. sd* -> da* etc. There's no pressing need to use the new devices as
yet, but if you're already in the process of upgrading... Alas, "MAKEDEV
all" does _not_ create all the devices. You get e.g. da0a..h but not
da0s1a etc. Foolishly I changed /etc/fstab to da0a etc. After a reboot,
mount refused to re-mount / read-write because its perception (da0s1a)
and the fstab entry (da0a) disagreed. I had to return to my fixit disk.
"MAKDEV da0s1h" creates all of da0s1a..h.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    100+ SF Book Reviews: <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/reviews/>;